Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Guided by Voices w/ Turbo Fruits, Marathon Music Works, Nashville, TN - 07/26/2012

Oh, GBV ... much like the last time I saw them on their reunion tour (which has become never-ending, I guess), the magic just wasn't there like before. My wife, her sister, her sister's husband and I had a pre-show dinner at City House (awesome) and headed over to this show. The venue easily holds 1,000 folks, and it felt eerily empty for this show, which was sad. We missed the openers, had a couple drinks, and then out came Bob and the boys.

They proceeded to play a set leaning heavily toward their newer material (which I admittedly don't know at all) and sounded quite sloppy, which was once a virtue but now just felt, well, off. I'm clearly yearning for something that can't be replicated (like seeing them on the Alien Lanes tour in 1995 and having my teenage mind blown). We left after about an hour and a few nuggets (notably "Shocker in Gloomtown" and "Exit Flagger"). Hate to be so half-hearted on a band that I once adored so, but it's just how I feel.

No comments: