Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Built to Spill, Exit/In, Nashville, TN - 09/14/2012

It's hard to overstate my love for this era of indie rock. I'm a nostalgist, and judging by the list of shows I've seen in 2012, that's pretty obvious. That being said, few bands have had the crazy awesome output of the 1990's as Built to Spill, and the level at which their music holds up is hard to contradict.

Some pals and I met up for drinks at the Corner Bar and then made our way in for the show. As usual, the band just kind of sauntered out, tuned up, and launched right into a fairly insane set (note that, again, I missed "Time Trap," which I'm apparently destined to never hear live):

Traces
In the Morning
The Plan
Made Up Dreams
Velvet Waltz
????
Reasons
Sidewalk
Nowhere Nothin' Fuckup
Car
????
In Your Mind
Carry the Zero

Encore:
Crimson and Clover (Tommy James & The Shondells cover)
????
Virginia Reel Around the Fountain

I'll simply say that Made Up Dreams -> Velvet Waltz was sublime; that as much as I love it, I could go the rest of my life not hearing them play "Car" live again; and that "Carry the Zero" live is beyond awesome. The main set was so good that the encore was truly a bit of a letdown, I think. A sloppy version of "Crimson and Clover" rather than "Untrustable" or "Going Against Yr Mind"? Just weird. But moments of this show were simply towering ...

No comments: