Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wilco, Mershon Auditorioum at the Wexner Center, Columbus, OH - 10/12/2009

Sadly, to the left is the show poster from Wilco's 2007 performance at the Wexner Center. (It's hanging in my guest bedroom now.) I like it, though, and am posting it for that reason. I bought a poster from this show, too, but have been too lazy to snap a photo of it, upload said photo, etc. - so you're stuck with this one. The point of it is that Wilco is no stranger to this venue, just as I am no stranger to them, having seen them play at least 20 times now ... getting close to 30, probably. And I think I'm kind of hitting a limit, I hate to say. They are great ... among the elite bands playing today. But a bit of the thrill is gone for me, sadly ...

We met up with friends at Akai Hana for some yummy sushi, picked up another friend, got rid of my extra ticket, completely missed opener Liam Finn and then settled in for the show. Oh, and I bought a poster. So this being the Wexner, there was no alcohol and, of course, seats. Both of these things always bring a show down a few notches for me unless it's theater/classical/something like that.

And the show starts, and they sound great (though the sound itself was slightly muddy, I thought), but it just never completely clicks for me. There were (as always) spine-tingling moments ... "Impossible Germany," "Misunderstood," some of the rarer tunes they played including "Wishful Thinking," "One by One," "I'm Always in Love," and "Theologians." But if even I'm getting a little over hearing "A Shot in the Arm" at every show, I can only imagine how they feel.

We actually left during the last song of very long encore (as opposed to their usual 2 shorter encores) ... I may need a break, just to rejuvenate myself. (I still love these guys, though ...)

On stage @ 9:17 p.m.

Intro - Price Is Right Theme Music

Wilco (The Song)
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
One Wing
A Shot In The Arm
Bull Black Nova
You Are My Face
One By One
I'll Fight
At Least That's What You Said
Deeper Down
Impossible Germany
Country Disappeared
Handshake Drugs
Wishful Thinking
--band introductions from Glenn's drum pads--
You Never Know (w/ Liam Finn)
I'm Always in Love
Jesus, Etc. (sing-along)
Theologians
I'm The Man Who Loves You

--------------------

Encore:
Misunderstood - 31 nothings
The Late Greats
California Stars (w/ Liam Finn and Eliza Jane Barnes)
Heavy Metal Drummer
Hate It Here
Walken
Monday
Hoodoo Voodoo (w/ Liam Finn - cowbell)
I'm A Wheel

Off stage @ 11:37 p.m.

2 comments:

Noelle said...

Yes, I have to agree, even though I haven't seen them NEARLY as many times as you. Wilco at Lolla '08, for me, is hard to top. Last two shows were good but not as great.

Graham Binder said...

Sad to hear this...but sounds like the venue didn't help matters.