Friday, October 2, 2009

Built to Spill, Newport Music Hall, Columbus, OH - 10/1/2009

I've been a big fan of Built to Spill since college, and they can be absolutely stellar to absolutely snoozefest live. Lately, they have seemed very invigorated to me, so I was quite excited to see them at the Newport, a great venue for seeing a band of this, er, stature.

My buddy Jenn and I grabbed some way overpriced beer and chips at Mad Mex and then headed over for a fairly impressive set by Disco Doom. It was very 90's guitar indie rock, which, as you have probably figured by now, I adore.

In their usual non-chalant manner, BTS sauntered onto the stage and basically started a noodly soundcheck-by-way-of-jam to get things moving. I have not listened to the fairly well-received new record at all yet, so I don't know the titles. I do know that I like them all quite well, but when they bust out the classics, it's killer. "The Plan"! "In the Morning"! "Untrustable"! "You Were Right"! I was singing along/giving devil horns/all my usual moves throughout, but I was truly not prepared to the encore (see below).

They're a great band with great songs who, on occasions like this one, can play a damn great show when they please.

Jam
NEW
In the Morning
The Plan
NEW
Virginia
Center of the Universe
Untrustable
NEW
You Were Right
NEW
In Your Mind
Conventional Wisdom

Car
Stop the Show
Carry the Zero
Outro Jam

1 comment:

Graham Binder said...

Going to see them next Saturday and My Crooked Vultures as well next week. Dinosaur Jr. tonight at 9:30 club, but I got roped into going to see Nashville's own Will Hoge with work friends. ah well...