Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Them Crooked Vultures, LC Pavilion, Columbus, OH - 10/6/2009

I really had very little idea of what to expect with this show other than 3 virtuosic rockers playing some heavy rock together. I rode my bike through wind and a slight bit of rain to the LC Pavilion and tried to unload my extra ticket. That was actually a tough sell, though ... many thanks to the scalper who was nice enough to buy it for below face value (don't ask by how much).

Comrades and I grabbed some large beers and headed for the pit inside the LC. There was no opener, and TCV didn't come on until almost 9, so it was a solid 90 minutes of waiting. (They played great warm-up music, though, including "The Guns of Brixton" and some classic Monks stuff.)

So they come out to a packed house that is quite enthusiastic and pumped up for this. John Paul Jones looks healthy and like a normal guy; Dave Grohl is in full-on rocker mode; and Josh Homme looks like a very tall, Craig Kilbourne-esque badass. They launch into a very loud (as in my ears were still ringing the next day), roughly 80-minute set with no encore, and it was pretty great. A few notes:

- Dave Grohl is a ridiculously good drummer ... I'm talking what feels like John Bonham-esque power/precision/etc. It was silly how good he was.

- Dave Grohl plus John Paul Jones = a ridiculously tight rhythm section. The stuff my 8th grade self dreamed of when I first discovered Zeppelin - well, I finally got to hear it live.

I don't know how much I'd rock this out on a stereo, but it was literally jaw-dropping at times. Worth it.

No comments: