Friday, April 25, 2014

Television w/ Tristen, Exit/In, Nashville, TN - 03/31/2014

Of shows that I've been pumped to see, this has got to rank right up there - a band that made one of my favorite records in all of history playing an uber-historic club a couple of miles from my house. So what if they may be past their prime or not with their original guitarist? It's Television - godfathers of post punk. You can't miss a show like this.

This was a boys-only show for friends and me. We met up and headed over en masse to see Tristen getting started, totally solo and sounding quite good. After a brief intermission and with little fanfare, Television came out with fairly stark lighting and about a 5-minute noodle/tune up session. (They tune by ear, which is not something you see everyday.)

They launched into "1880 or So," and similar to the Real Estate show I'd seen 48 hours earlier, the sound was phenomenal:  very clean with monstrous bottom end, perfect tones, just sick. Jimmy Rip's solo on that first tune was monstrous. The first 5 songs or so were just off the chart great and one of my best recent concert experiences. Toward the middle/end, things dragged a bit and got somewhat wonky. They came back together for "Marquee Moon," though that felt slightly perfunctory to me.

Hard to overstate how epic this show was. The Scene felt so, too (photos there); another good write-up here ...

Intro/Tuning
1880 Or So
Prove It
Elevation
Glory
Torn Curtain
Venus
Little Johnny Jewel
See No Evil
Persia
I'm Gonna Find You
Marquee Moon
---
Guiding Light
Psychotic Reaction

No comments: