Thursday, May 31, 2012

Counting Crows, Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN - 05/05/2012

I would like to say that my wife dragged me kicking and screaming to this show, but in reality I was somewhat excited to get to see a band that at least at one point in my teenage years I was quite fond of. I'll add that I still pull out August and Everything After every once in a while and enjoy the hell out of it.

Our tickets from craigslist negotiating landed us on about the 12th row of the main floor near the center, so not too shabby. The Ryman was packed with an average age probably around 35 years if I had to guess, though older and younger folks were to be found.

We caught the last two songs from a not particularly good opener and settled in. And I'll admit it - it was awesome. First off, the crowd was rapturously into the band, which you don't see in Nashville that often. Secondly, the band really brought it, which surprised me. Very high energy, very fun. Lastly, they have a pretty thick back catalog by now, and combined with some truly killer covers (see below), it makes for quite the song selection. I of course loved hearing "Round Here" and the other August songs, but who knew that "A Long December" or even "Hanginaround" would get me? Well, they did. Just being honest.
Round Here
Untitled (Love Song) (The Romany Rye cover)
I Wish I Was a Girl
Daylight Fading
Hospital (Coby Brown cover)
Black and Blue
When I Dream of Michelangelo
Mrs. Potter's Lullaby
Omaha
Mercy
Like Teenage Gravity (Kasey Anderson cover)
Good Time
A Long December
Return of the Grievous Angel (Gram Parsons cover)
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Bob Dylan cover)
Hanginaround

Encore:
Ballad of El Goodo (Big Star cover)
Rain King (Thunder Road lyrics)

Encore 2:
Come Around
Holiday in Spain

No comments: