Sunday, March 4, 2012

Yonder Mountain String Band w/ the Infamous Stringdusters, Marathon Music Works, Nashville, TN - 2/10/2012

Here's a quick, no frills recap of this one. A couple of buddies and I made this show on a last minute decision. First off, this was my first visit to this venue, and it is quite awesome - great sight lines, nice bar area, $5 draft Yazoos, clear sound. Parking is an issue, which I figured.

We walked in midway through the Stringdusters' set, and just as I heard, they were pretty great - extremely good players with a more traditional mode of newgrass.

YMSB came out a good deal later and played a very long couple of sets with an encore. I used to be something of a fan, but I don't think that they are particularly great bluegrass players and find the very long, very repetitive (3 chords stretched out for 10 minutes) tunes to get a bit old at times. I enjoyed that they had a revolving cast of Nashville bluegrass stars playing with them.

Had a great time but would have enjoyed a more economical set from the headliners ...

No comments: