Thursday, November 18, 2010

Deerhunter, Exit/In, Nashville, TN - 11/10/2010

This show was a long time coming in the sense that I had not been able to check much out recently due to studying and - finally - taking some big professional exams.  I finished my last one this afternoon and was in full on release mode.  We got there just in time for Deakin's set (of Animal Collective), which sounded like Animal Collective minus much melody.  I have the record, so maybe it will grow on me ...

Deerhunter came out to a pretty packed house and from the get go sounded awesome.  They did their usual thing, which in my eyes includes ending each song in a noisy meltdown that then goes straight into the next song.  Their rhythm section is so locked in that it really works.  Their live sound has become so minimalist in a lot of ways that it reminds me most of a Krautrock type of vibe, which is right up my alley.

They played the hits, including "Nothing Ever Happened," which killed as usual.  Probably my biggest issue was that it ended around 1 in the morning, and I'm getting old, kids.  Great show ...

No comments: