Friday, August 20, 2010

The Black Keys, Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN - 8/12/2010

When I think of seeing the Black Keys, I think, "Solid."  Straight up solid, can't complain, no frills, hit the jugular rock.  I've been seeing them since 2005, and they really have been getting better and better at what they do.

After drinks at 12 South Taproom, we headed over to the show (back in the balcony at the Ryman).  Missed the openers the Morning Benders, whom I actually wanted to see, but such is life.

Show was sold out, pretty packed, and folks were actually standing and getting excited and enjoying themselves for change.  Not very Nashville at all, I'm happy to report for a change.

As per usual, they opened with "Thickfreakness" and ran through about 6 hits as a two-piece (very similar to when I saw them at Bonnaroo in June) including "Stack Shot Billy" and "Girl Is On My Mind."  Then they brought out the keyboardist and bassist for the new tunes.  They still sounded good, and the accompaniment is pretty minimalist, but here's my theory:  having those 2 guys play with them forces them to tighten up so much that it takes away the looseness that makes them so powerful and, dare I say it, special.  That sense of being on the edge of careening off the tracks is sorely missed.

They finished up the main set as a two-piece again and then encored with one song as a four-piece and a final tune as two-piece.  Sorry, no setlist.  Really enjoyed this one, loved the crowd being into it (why can't all Nashville shows be this way?), and as usual was not disappointed by the Keys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey - Kate here. just catching up on your music misadventures. So, seriously, why is it that only 1 out of 3 shows at the Ryman people are willing to stand up?! I experienced this in the upper decks at the Tom Petty concert as well. I have a really hard time sitting on my ass when I'm listening to a really great band. Just sayin'