Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Avett Brothers, LC Pavilion, Columbus, OH - 5/29/2010

As a last minute sort of thing with some friends in town for a quick return trip to the C-bus, we collectively decided that a nice way to spend a warm Saturday evening would be sitting outside at the LC hearing the Avett Brothers, a band loved by many that I know but whom I've never completely gotten.

We pre-partied/ate yummy things at Betty's and then headed over and caught the opening set from Jessica Lea Mayfield. She is very young and has a very strong voice and some great songs. It was major downer country twang (in a good way), and I dug it.

Then the Avetts came out to a pretty solid crowd. I wish - truly - that their music was more up my alley, but something about it just doesn't jibe with me. The lyrics are a bit trite at times, the playing/singing is good but not all that great, the energy is there but comes off for me as more bluster than focus. Based on the many, many good friends whose opinion I respect having a lot of affection for this band, I feel like the problem is me, but at the end of the day, it seems like a kind of goofy bluegrass/folk thing that just doesn't turn my crank.

It was a fun night out, though, with great friends and great weather. We ended the night at Char Bar with some jukebox salvation there. Good times ...

No comments: