Sunday, April 25, 2010

Avenues reunion show, 12th & Porter, Nashville, TN - 4/10/2010

My buddy Aaron and some friends I've made via him used to be a band called Avenues. They self-released a full length and then an EP in the early-to-mid-2000's. I saw them play a reunion show once a few years back, and they decided to do it again at 12th & Porter (where I saw Spoon in 2004!).

Anyway, I was in town to close on a new house as I'm moving back to Nashville full time come late June/early July, 2010, and this was happening the same weekend. Nice! We got to the club a little after 10 (late for me these days), mingled for a while, and then without so much as a soundcheck Avenues were off and running.

I was impressed - compared to that one time I saw them way back when, they sounded much more confident, much tighter. The songs sounded great and very fleshed out. Most of these guys are playing music on some level still (and Dan, the guitarist, has a pretty great thing going in Brooklyn with his band, the Royal Chains), so maybe I shouldn't be surprised that they could bring it together so well without even a rehearsal.

Major props ...

[Photo courtesy of Mobley Photo.]

No comments: