Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Arletta (opening for We All Have Hooks For Hands), Middle East Upstairs, Cambridge, MA - 11/22/2009

Two of my best friends from medical school plan in the Boston-based band Arletta, and I was lucky enough to be in town to get to see them play the Middle East. There was a good-sized crowd, and the Harpoon was flowing steadily. The first band to play, a group of Berklee kids whose name escapes me now, were quite good and super-talented (hey, they're from Berklee).

Arletta was next and played "the hits" over about a 30-minute set. It was very tight, and while I am beyond biased, I think their songwriting is getting better and chipping away at their sound, which is exciting.

The third band did nothing for me, and I can't remember their name.

But the headliners, We All Have Hooks For Hands, were phenomenal. Just a great live experience. These kids must be in their early 20's at the latest and just played their guts out, sounded great and seemed genuinely into it, which is a nice change of pace. I bought a CD and T-shirt afterward, which is a rare event for me. Check them out.

No comments: