Thursday, June 4, 2009

Meat Puppets and Retribution Gospel Choir, The Summit, Columbus, OH - 6/3/2009

My buddy Jenn and I headed over to the Summit (our inaugural visit since this venue sprang up out of Bourbon Street Cafe) with very low expectations, truth be told, to see some legends bring their stuff. I had seen the Meat Puppets last year at ATP New York and also back in the early part of this decade when it was basically the one Kirkwood brother and bunch of no names on stage with him. The former was quite cool; the latter was lame except that my best friends were in town and we were getting drunk.

We walked in, got some beers and were basically right in time for Retribution Gospel Choir. Alan Sparhawk from Low fame is the main dude in this much more rocking power trio. I liked them. Nothing to just flip out over, but it was good and tight. And his guitar sounded awesome - like Neil Young-awesome guitar sounds. I loved that, of course.

A fairly long wait later, the MP's took the stage. It was pretty crowded, too, with a very weird mix of punks, college kids and 40-year olds who had obviously loved the Puppets in their heyday. The show was good and of course featured "Plateau," "Lake of Fire," and "Up on the Sun." But they were very tight ... much tighter than when I had seen them almost a year before. I didn't take a setlist, we left before the encore (which, apparently, was "Backwater," which makes me all the more glad that we left early), and it was a fine time.

Wish I had something more awesome to report on this one ...

No comments: