Thursday, April 9, 2009

Morrissey, the Palace Theater, Columbus, OH - 4/1/2009

So this was my first chance to see the Moz after a near lifetime of loving basically his entire output. I had been keeping up with the setlists (courtesy of www.morrissey-solo.com) and wasn't expecting much in terms of surprises, etc. I also had picked up tickets last minute on StubHub for about $70 total (2 tix in the 10th row), which was kind of a nice bonus.

We ate at Tip Top beforehand, and it was delicious as usual. A lot of folks there were pre-show, too. Noelle rocked a reuben while I devoured a beef BBQ sandwich. And we had yummy beer.

We got to the Palace after the openers and probably about 10 minutes pre-Moz. He was showing video of the New York Dolls and some other similar-era glam/punk icons with whom I was not familiar. Lots of people there, too; not sold out, but a good-sized crowd.

He came out, and I must admit that I had a minor religious experience seeing him live and in person for the first time. The band was extremely tight, the sound a bit loud, the vocals a bit buried for it being, well, friggin' Morrissey. But it was great and a lot more high energy than I expected. He totally dropped his shirt at one point and looked quite good for his age, if I do say so in a heterosexual manner. I'd say the Smiths songs were all highlights, but that's kind of a given. No stage rushers until the encore, when quite a few folks went for the Moz. One guy got straight up clotheslined, which was hilarious but also a bit concerning.

This Charming Man / Billy Budd / That's How People Grow Up / Black Cloud / How Soon Is Now? / Irish Blood, English Heart / I Keep Mine Hidden / How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? / Ask / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Best Friend On The Payroll / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / The Loop / Death Of a Disco Dancer / Let Me Kiss You / Sorry Doesn't Help / Something Is Squeezing My Skull / I'm OK By Myself // First Of The Gang To Die

1 comment:

patrick said...

Sounds like a great show-- I hope he comes to a small theatre around here eventually. The only chance I had to see Morrissey live so far was at a big ampitheater when I was 14. It was a terrific show, but ended quickly because of the stage-rushing fans-- immortalized in "Morrissey- Live in Dallas". At some point I had a little scrap of his shirt from that show, but I don't remember where I got it (or even if there was a shred of evidence that it was authentic).