Thursday, November 20, 2008

No Age, Wexner Center Performance Space, Columbus OH - 11/19/2008

As the Who once sang ... the kids are alright. Yes, it was a kid-friendly (and by "kids," I mean teens and twenty-somethings) atmosphere at the Wex for this show last night. I had listened to all of 1 minute of No Age going in, so I was kind of expecting, based on other reviews, a loud/pummeling assault. That was about right.

My friend Jenn and I grabbed a couple beers pre-show at the always yummy St. James (where we also tried a new Lagunitas brown sugar-tinged beer that was, um, strong) before getting to the show around 10.

Openers #1 were Silk Flowers, whom we missed. We did not hear good things. Then was Soft Circle, which was a cool looped thing where a guy got a good, trance-y, krautrock-esque instrumental thing going and then drummed (quite well) and chanted along. It was good if a bit tiresome.

Then it was time for No Age. They played a lot of 2-minute songs that were surprisingly complex for how much riffage and volume was going on. The vocals could have been louder, for sure, and the moshing a bit less in my face (I'm old, what can I say?), but it was a fun time. (The last moshpit I saw that rivaled this was, I swear, during Yo La Tengo's set at All Tomorrow's Parties. Crazy.) They aren't my bag 100%, but they are good at what they do.

I'm thinking that I'm going to get to meet Dean Wareham today. Kind of pumped. Now that's more my bag ...

(No setlist, as I have no idea what their songs are titled.)

2 comments:

patrick said...

You oughta get the No Age cds. I was not too into them at first, but you're right-- the songs are more complicated than you'd expect. I'm not their #1 fan or anything, but loud 90s-ish bands like them and Ladyhawk always creep into my heart.

Somehow I have missed all of the shows they've played in NYC this year.

Jenn said...

Nice assessment of the evening. This was totally my bag and I am now more in love with their noise-pop-goodness than I was prior to the show.

As far as the setlist goes, basically put Nouns on shuffle, add in like two older gems and there you go. Maybe I'll get ambitious and hook you up with my No Age collection...

BTW. The white vinyl is to die for.